- M.A. in History, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
- B.A. in History, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
- B.A. in Turkish Language and Literature, Boğaziçi University, Istanbul, Turkey
Yeliz is a Ph.D. candidate specializing in the intellectual and cultural history of the modern Middle East, with a particular emphasis on the development of modern history-writing practices at the turn of the twentieth century. Her dissertation project explores the historiographical debates and the intellectual networks (both local and global) within which the institutionalization, professionalization, and gradual nationalization of historical studies took place in the final decades of the Ottoman Empire, and during the first years of Turkish Republic.
Her research interests also include theories of historiography, comparative modernities, history of Ottoman modernization, history of modern Central Asia, nationalism(s) in the Middle East, history of mass performances in the Ottoman realm, Ottoman literature, folklore.
Yeliz has received a B.A. in Turkish Language and Literature, a B.A. in History, and an M.A. in History from Boğaziçi University, Istanbul. She was also a doctoral fellow at Orient-Institut Istanbul during the 2016-2017 academic year as she conducted research in various manuscript libraries and archives in Turkey for her dissertation project. Currently, Yeliz is a graduate team fellow of Global Arts + Humanities Discovery Theme.
Turkish, Ottoman, Persian, French, Russian
• NELC 3205: Women in the Muslim Middle East (Spring 2020)
• NELC 3204: The Middle East in the Media (Fall 2019)
• NELC 3625: Understanding Bollywood, Knowing India: Hindi Cinema since 1960 (TA, Spring 2019)
• Arabic 2241: Cultures of the Contemporary Arab World (TA, Autumn 2019)
• NELC 2244: Films of the Middle East (Instructor, Spring 2018)
• Turkish 3101: Advanced Turkish Syntax (Instructor, Spring 2016)
• Turkish 2102: Intermediate Turkish III (Instructor, Fall 2015, Fall 2017)
• Turkish 2101: Intermediate Turkish II (Instructor, Spring 2014, Spring 2015)
• Turkish 1103: Intermediate Turkish I (Instructor, Fall 2013, Fall 2014)
Select Conference Presentations
• “Missing Ottomans? Ottoman Responses to Orientalist Debates in the International Congresses of Orientalists,” Middle East Studies Association annual meeting, Washington DC, October 2020.
• “The Historian’s Craft Between Empire and Nation: The Emergence of Historical Professionalism in the Ottoman Realm between the 1910s and 1920s,” British Society for Middle Eastern Studies annual conference , “Knowledge, Power and Middle Eastern Studies,” University of Kent, Canterbury, 29 June- 1 July 2020 (Postponed due to COVID-19).
• “Between Ibn Khaldunism and Ottoman Exceptionalism: Abdurrahman Şeref Efendi's Tarih-i Devlet-i Osmaniyye (History of the Ottoman State),” Middle East Studies Association annual meeting, New Orleans, LA, November 2019.
• “The Ottoman Historical Society in the Era of Global Historical Professionalism,” 3rd European Convention on Turkic, Ottoman and Turkish Studies (TURKOLOGENTAG), Bamberg University, Bamberg, Germany, September 19-21, 2018.
• “Reading Change Through Festivities: Royal Weddings During the Reign of Mahmud II,” Recent Perspectives on Ceremonies, Rituals, and Festivals in the Ottoman World, Yale University, New Heaven, CT, April 2017.
• “Ottoman Historians at Work: Historiographical Debates in Academic Journals of the Late Ottoman Period,” Middle East Studies Association annual meeting, Boston, MA, November 2016.
• “Long Ways, Long Lies: Evliya Çelebi as Traveler and Trickster,” American Folklore Society annual meeting, Long Beach, CA, October 2015.
SELECT GRANTS AND FELLOWSHIPS
• The Ohio State University, Global Arts + Humanities Discovery Theme, Graduate Team Fellowship, 2020-2021.
• Carter V. Findley Fellowship in Ottoman and Turkish History, 2020-21 (declined).
• The Ohio State University Graduate School, Alumni Grant for Graduate Research and Scholarship, 2018-2019.
• The Ohio State University, Office of International Affairs, Phyllis Krumm Memorial International Scholarship Award, 2018.
• Max Weber Foundation Orient-Institut Istanbul, Doctoral Fellow, 2016-2017.
• The Ohio State University Office of International Affairs, Academic Enrichment Grant, 2016-2017.
• The Ohio State University, The Felice M. Grad Endowed Scholarship Award, Summer 2017.
Areas of Expertise
· Late Ottoman and Early Republican Turkish History
· Comparative history of Turkish and Central Asian modernity
· Intellectual and Cultural History