Senior Lecturer & Persian Language Program Coordinator
380 Hagerty Hall
Department of Near Eatern and South Asian
Languages and Cultures
1775 College Rd
Areas of Expertise
- Persian Langauge
- Persian Literature
- Contemporary Iranian Society
- Ph.D. in Iranian Studies, University of Arizona, School of Middle Eastern and North African Studies, 2016
- M.A. in Sociology of Literature, Tehran University, Tehran, Iran, 2003
- B.A. in Social Science Research, Tehran University, Tehran, Iran, 2000
Mehrak Kamali is an experienced instructor. As an instructor, Mehrak sees his role in the class as a facilitator: a person who helps his students explore the world of Persian language and culture, as well as Iranian contemporary issues and history.
His teaching philosophy revolves around the following aspects:
- Emphasizing on learning as opposed to merely memorizing
- Relating course contents with students’ real world experiences
- Emphasizing on communicative learning approach in both real and virtual world
- Using electronic and online language learning tools
He is teaching a number of courses including Iranian society today, Persian literature in translation, Iranian culture, and Persian language in different academic levels.
As a researcher, his research interest areas are pedagogy, language learning methods, sociology of modern Persian fiction, and the history of Iran. Mehrak has published several articles about language learning methods, modern Persian literature, and the history of Iran in Persian.
Mehrak has published several articles about modern Persian literature and the history of Iran in Persian. His last article, “Iranian Baha’i Community and Its Encounter with the Process of ‘Othering’ (1941-1983)” is a part of his ongoing project about position modifications of religious minorities and political groups in post-1979-revolutionary Iran. As a translator, he has translated Politics of Writings in Iran: A history of Modern Persian literature by Kamran Talattof into Persian which has been published in Iran by Namak publisher.